2/11/2016

Matters of the Mind

What is, is never, if not another sees it, argues about, or agrees with it. What is, still would be, if one would persist that it is. Is it too difficult to understand? To believe? I’ll try and make things easier. But who am I? A thinker? An authority? I am no one, and everyone, all in one, and that, sometimes makes me someone. Basically, I am trapping you. But I did not intend to.

Maaya was like me, an illusion, a delusion if you must. This morning I was wondering where the memory resides, if neurosurgeons can see memory as a slot, if it yells and speaks that ‘we are’, and ‘we used to be’. She tells me she did too, once. Hers differs from mine, and thanks to my memory, I do not remember hers. So, I will share with you mine. While wandering like the impression one leaves on the tracing paper, the route of the memory, I deviated to where the mind was located. Someone scientific informed me it is an unknown horizon, the concept. And I knew it certainly does not live in the popularized version of inhabiting the heart. But then, something happened.

I saw a mind, flighty, in a cape, flying from the brain and sliding downwards the veins towards the foodpipe. It clearly did not approve of the taste of the soup I had, and hopped to the heart. The mind was boggled. There were four rooms. The brain told it, “chambers, stupid!” Fascinated with the opportunities, Maaya seeped into me. Like you are. I, you, Maaya, all wanted to know what the mind would next do. Well, it entered one named ‘Atrium’, explaining it felt any word with ‘V’ like ‘ventricle’ tend to be venomous. Disappointed with the bloodiness and mechanics of pumping and in-flow, out-flow, the mind moved on. It wanted to travel to the serpentine mess below, but being a mind and completely capable of distraction, was taken aback by the blackishness of the liver. It made a smooth landing and tried to comprehend what its function was. Finding it boring, it made a decision to enter the maze of intestines. Lord! That was indeed some mess! A fine mess. Being of flighty nature, as introduced earlier, the mind lost its way, way too soon in the maze and by now regretted entering it. All it wanted was the boredom of the heart or the safety of the brain to return to. Being condescending in nature, it was blowing out curses at the mess, but never prepared that they would retaliate, the mind crumpled into a little dot and tried to hide itself. Intestines are nasty things, as I know, as does Maaya, as do you, and would not allow the mind to be. They turned the dot into a rubble and pushed it out of the entire system. “Shit happens,” I said.

Thus concluding, that the mind was nothing more than a piece of shit if not well attended to. It asked for attention. It needed to be controlled. And that’s when Maaya entered me. She took over. Like a soul. 

Maaya was often found fantasizing in deliberation. She entered the mind, caressed it, controlled it. I had no say. To be honest, I had no idea of what was happening. And that was when I realized. How could I? It was Maaya’s mind now.

I told you, you wouldn’t see. You don’t see, but it is. 

1 comment:

Manjima said...

What a brilliant piece! Not to be in and out of the mind, but yes, to remain, all over it.

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...