2/20/2016

Deathly Hallows

The immediate association one has with the 'Deathly Hallows' is, undoubtedly, Harry Potter. Oh, what a delicacy it would be indeed, had it stopped at that. But no, I realized, I do not know the meaning of 'Hallows'. As I looked it up, it surprised me, the meaning -- something honourable, holy. Holy shit! I had so long thought it would be something closer to 'hollow', as in depths. Deeper than comprehension, larger than life, closer to fantasy, further from reality.

My vocabulary needs a polish, I noted. But I come back to the subject I fear the most -- the death of a near one, and the occasion of overpowering consolation. Opinions, tears, decisions, rituals -- name it and they tie you with the impersonal. The living is no longer a being, it is just a body. And you are merely acting in accordance with someone else who will be pulling the stronger strings. It is unfair.

All I would need is the power to accept, to face, to cry and a firm shoulder. All you would need is the comfort of silence. Yet, it is made grand, almost like DH Part I and Part II. Death and the duties. Isn't it disturbing? Why does it bother me so much? We are born to die, and if we make most of our lives, we make it large, yes; but death? How far from ready are we about it? Each time it gives us a new blow. 

Interstellar made me a generous forgiver. I couldn't fathom the theory of relativity of time. Life goes on. That is all. Some are born, some die, some more are born, again to die. We keep behaving as if we have dealt with it. I haven't even come to terms with the truth of it.

Have you?

No, it is not hallows. It is an unending hollow.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...