2/11/2016

A Funny Story

As usual with sunrises and sunsets, or with how a Federer-ace can never go wrong, comes a daily demand from a restless daughter whenever other indulgences are not entertained. Generations ago, it would be lullabies which would put a child off to sleep, but with today's toddlers, even mobile phone games fall short! I try and ask her to tell me instead of how she spent her entire day, and hope, rather meanly, that in doing so, she eventually falls asleep. Genetically, I wouldn't disagree that it would work though. Last night, I was really tired and asked her instead thus and found myself this morning awake without registering the end of her story:

"I went school and learn to be funny."

"Really, baby?"

"Yes. But in bus, Didi saying funny-bone and you say you have a bone, Momie!"

"Yes, I do. You call her Mishi."

"Oh yes, Mishi! She is not coming to our house and giving me colour pencil set."

"She will come soon. So, what is 'funny', sweetie?"

"Funny is hahahaha, Momie!"

"Right!"

In my mind I was wondering if when she would understand that a funny-bone is actually a nerve which sends funny feelings when hurt, rather than give pain. It is a state of mind -- to retain humour in one's spirit. Take a laugh on oneself, while sharing one. But she had age to teach her that, I thought.

"I told Tucks to hahaha, he did not. So I did hahaha to show him what is hahaha. Momie, Tucks is not knowing to hahaha."

"Tucks cannot hahaha, love."

"Then you do, Momie. I tell in bus to Neha and Megha and Piyanka do hahaha and they do and then we all hahaha and learn to funny and all didis do hahaha when we do hahaha..."

Mothers are meant to be forgiven. Her hahaha's had a soft lullaby effect on me and I woke up, admittedly not having heard her complete story.  As I try and recall what could have possibly been her reaction when she found me slightly snoring, I found myself laughing, her hahaha, and it was funny indeed. A daughter putting a mother to sleep. For once, lullabies came alive the other way round, and stir the funny bone in me. It was nice to have a hahaha even without her hearing it. Even though poor Tucks must have thought mother and daughter have gone jointly mad.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...