12/24/2015

Love-Letter (XXIV)

Dearest Sydzie,

I like that spelling. You? Guess what, I saw Mom quietly keeping the handkerchief set under Dad's pillow, the same one I told you other day about? Yes, the one on which she was stitching in secret, while she should have been peeling peas. She was prepping the jacket potatoes for dinner when I found her taking up the needle and fight to push in one end of the royal blue spool of thread. It dazzled, more so with my curiosity. 

I am so relieved to find it finally made it under Daddy's pillow. So sweet of Mum to cook up a Christmas dinner for us as a surprise. We exchanged gifts of convenience and benefit, but Mum's little notes touched me most. You won't believe the effort she took to place each of us a special something inside our individual ramekins. I got a silver brooch! Daddy was taken aback he got nothing. I felt bad for him too. But Andy got a tie-pin, and his delight was too much to allow us all to forget Dad's lack of one.

Gifts are, on a different note, such a thoughtful way of sharing love -- you can be practical, pragmatic, generous, caring -- what an amazing way to reflect your personality. And this brings me to your Christmas gift. I could not save enough to buy you the guitar you have been eyeing for a year now, so Siddhartha, I got you couple of tit bits instead.

One. A Hidesign wallet not of alligator pattern. That rich brown will shine out of your back-pocket. 

Two. A basic tea-kit consisting miscellaneous flavours of teabags, milk-powder sachet and a box of sugar-cubes. Could not afford your favourite wine, Sydzie. Sorry, honey.

Three. A box of plectrums -- thin, mid, thick -- to strum whatever guitar comes your way, and belt out the kindest of soulful melodies to stir up the soul. You can keep 'em in your new wallet!

Wish you a very merry Christmas, precious, and a year of your desires. As for me, the first piece of writing from this wonderful fountain pen you gave me, could only be to you! Thank you, sweets! 

The gifts are jingling all the way.

Love,
Cheryl.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...