12/24/2015

Love-Letter (XXIII)

Di,

What a lovely term it is, and lovelier still it feels, to be able to call you that. It entails a sisterly bond, yes, but goes beyond. School, college, tuition, and now university -- they have always given me this additional reason to be in them -- you. I love the distance between our classrooms and yet the nearness in our distance, it suffices for the years in between. It feels so complete to know you.

People around, friends that they are termed as, hardly matter, when you are with me. Just as much the fairness of your skin awes me, the fairness of your character sometimes does anger me. I do not like it when you tag along other fans of yours in our walking space, our travelling space, our being space. Does that signify that I am selfish? So be it, Di, yes, you heard it correct, so be it. 

For how many loves have you known to conquer entire lives? Of kingdoms and hearts we have heard enough. I do not ask for anything in return, that would justify a space for unrequited love. I really ask for nothing. Nothing more than these letters you read, the conspiring smile of understanding you pass, the melody in music we share and of course, the tinier nothings of bus rides and dressed up brides.  

Di, my world flames up with this word, and with you. Few seconds of our togetherness encompasses a lifetime I could live on with, yet I am never satiated.

Tell me how you feel when I call you that. What do you feel?

So much love that I did not know even I was capable of,
Shireen.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...