2/07/2015

Letter to my Daughter II

Hello Curl Queen,

This is typical of daughters, actually of anyone, to be jealous. Letters to you undergo such intense travel to reach you that I wish I were a letter. Sweetheart, Chhuti is not just your friend, she is mine too, and remember she has been my lifeline at times unfathomable. Don't you care for poor mommy enough to be a little tolerant towards her? You certainly do not believe that mommy doesn't know that you become uptight when I write her a letter too many?
Pssstt: A secret -- you look cuter when your cheeks blush with red anger when I say, "Would you like a Blackforest, Chhuti?"

Child, I have to assure you (and it stays documented) that mothers are generous enough to love a couple of beings as much as their children, and at rare times even more, but that is what makes them human too. Haven't you known the love I beget from DB? If her sons were to compete with me, they would lose by miles, but love, love and competition do not exactly go hand in hand. I love you Chinks, and I would repeat it till my last breath (technically thus having the last word) that I have loved you from when you were not, and that promotes you to a place which is unreachable. Do not aspire love in measures and in comparisons, it belittles the feeling. It is uninspiring.

Come, let us imagine a cozy car. Imagine mountains that you can see outside the window. Imagine them on a dark, scary night. Imagine the extreme cold that cannot be contained by woolly gloves and furry caps and sexy socks. It is then that clinging on to little Chhuti's little hands in a tight clasp would give you a warmth that no inner, or warmer can provide. Don't fight so much that she is not the shoulder you can rely upon when in dire need of one, like your mommy does. Her shoulders may seen fragile and tiny, but they have the power to upturn storms. Here, you have no choice but to believe me. Serious belief. 

So love, shrug off that jealousy. It is not a happy thing to have around. Think for a moment. What does it do? What can it fetch? It only makes you unhappier. And Chinks, like mommy, you are as lazy. It would do you no good to keep a grudge. Have an ice-cream instead. With Chhuti, and me. That orange flavour of the candy would be dripping with joy when you share a laugh along. What would Christmas be without her? What would Saturdays be without her? What would walls be without her and you colouring them up?

Be a friend, Chinks, share, care, love. You will not know the importance of Chhuti unless you don't have her (and God forbid such a day ever comes).

And, Mommy loves you.
Madly.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...