2/09/2015

Letter to the Mountains

Hi!

I wish I could fiercely believe that you were impatiently waiting for this letter. Everyday that I drive to and from my workplace, I tune in to the radio diligently and the headless words find their way into my head. They are claiming it to be the month of Love. Such a well thought of commodity. Last year, this time was different. You had already happened. Actually, to think of it, you had happened some years back. On that flight to Delhi where we crossed a vast expanse of unending you. They called you the Himalayas. I was sure you saw me, me on the other side of that ant-sized window. Complete with shock, awe and silence. Love at first sight, one would say. At least from my end. That was the beginning.

I do not claim to have loved you from births before, or from geography text books. I do not claim to immediately differentiate one of your angles from the other by names assigned to you. I do not, like informed friends, know statistics that define you. I just know that your endlessness does not nauseate me the way that of the sea does, and that, dearest, is very, very kind of you. I also know there is something karmic about our relationship. Your solid strength came upon me when I was at my deepest low.

It is not only a memory, seeing you in many hues. Those were moments I have lived my barest, fullest. You and the sky, making sometimes gentle, sometimes wild love with each other. Colours came alive like from a magician's wand. You and the roads, in a cemented friendship. You and the river, in a soul companionship. You and me, and the smiles we have shared, and the tears we could not explain, it could only be your heightened magnitude shadowing my emotions. Water colour of streaming consciousness.

Last year, when you compelled me to return to you twice after the first time, I knew it was special. It was not just the excitement of building stories around sleeping gods, it was also not just the pristine view, it was something deeper. And then there were those irrational, unexplained outpour of emotions which I can never come to terms with. You are the most majestic of all landscapes that stand tall on the face of this earth. You have unfolded in me a capacity to be in a relationship with you, which we lesser mortals may loosely term, long-distance. I take time to understand your music, your poetry. I am mostly captivated by your very presence -- snowcapped, stubbled, serene. Devastatingly beautiful. In fact to put into words what I go through is near impossible. It is as if I have always belonged. To you. And each time your embrace melts my soul.

I do not know which part of you this letter will find, and how. I do not know what one expresses in a letter to the mountains. All I know is I will return to you, regularly, and that I had to tell you this. For, I believe you were quite charmed yourself by the innocent adolescent screams I let out in delight at your sight. And badly wished to comfort me when I cried. I will let you.

Coming soon,
K.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...