8/24/2006

For whom the bells didn’t toll:

hare rama hare Christ-na

I am an Indian by birth, descent and other such categories. Religion to me came naturally, but the questions that aroused from it were quite unnatural. I would be standing folded-hands in front of framed photographs of at least three or four gods and goddesses daily after bath, close eyed praying mostly for I don’t know what. Was this devotion? I would see mom bathing those miniscule idols and framed photos, serving fruits and water as their lunch and wrapping it up by chanting mantras and circling them with an incense stick. Was this religion?

And then I started pelting my queries to a rather annoyed mom. Was she playing home sweet home every morning with those dolls? Was her favourite god, Shiv, going to fetch me high marks in my examinations without my studying for it? Would I get my cycle if I added a minute more to my prayer sessions each morning? One day there was a rumour that Ganesh was drinking up all the milk being offered to him and suddenly his idols and pictures were an immediate fashion statement. He was being adorned on t-shirts, pendants, wall pieces etc…you see the rock star was in vogue. Could this fervour then be religion?

I was growing up rather fast and my generic statements were becoming more and more specific. Religion in India meant division of nations, didn’t it? Was not Pakistan evidence enough? I remember one evening under the rather severe persuasion of mom I accompanied her to an ashram to attend the aarti, whereby the bookstore there became my refuge. As I was buying abridged versions of different holy books, the guy behind the counter refused to sell me all those books to me at a time! I was exasperated. Was this the limitation of religion?

Journeys acquainted me with various versions of gods available throughout India. Stones, books, trees, snakes, cows, sun, moon, planets all comprised the entity of god. Was this religion? I rather regard it as the belief of the simple minds of my citizens. And the strength of simplicity. On a broader platform with my dad endorsing religion as humanity, I got to see through it.

India is using religion as a political tool for obtaining communally scented votes. It is a charming business proposition. People who defy new medical entries and refuse to invest in it willingly give up a huge proportion of their income in the name of god. Till today nobody could answer me if god’s blessing was on sale. And what was it worth. Indians have been blinded a far many too times by the lure of planetary powers and so on and unluckily for the malfunctioning of those very planets they have been outsmarted by the clever species.

Devotion and religion were habit, curiosity and a challenge for me respectively. And then I took the pain of understanding it. Wouldn’t it be good if I didn’t have someone writing such an outrageous piece on my belief like this? Nobody could, nobody can. For, for me religion is the formal attire of my devotion, which is the structure of my inner belief. My belief being that my actions inscribe my fate.

I guess in the process of speaking out against god, I have completed my assignment. For those who buy god’s blessings I did get it for free. My mom still goes about her daily regime, if so, only more strictly and why not? She feels she’s got a defiant daughter like me who’s not going to do well in life because she questioned religion.

I am 22, married, pursuing M.A in English from Calcutta University. Simultaneously also attending a post grad diploma course in mass communication and journalism at Jadavpur University. Tell me do you believe her? Or would you just let her be…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kuntee, let me first congratulate you, it was a wonderful essay!

Religion, I believe is an attempt, on everyone’s part, to understand the why and the how of things. “Attempt” calls for an individualistic approach towards expressing inner beliefs. The difference lies in the attempt. A devotee fasting for years in the name of God can not be completely meaningless. If not anything else it gives him self-satisfaction —the ultimate way to self realization. Nevertheless, this is the extreme way of religion. As you have mentioned, we have grown up seeing our moms offering prayers everyday in front of few framed photographs and stone-idols! And that’s their way of expression! Simple! If it is in our mind, we do not need to follow it up as they do, but should at least respect their perceptions! I am not a strong practitioner of religion (do not quite remember when did I last step into a temple), but yes I am a believer. I do it in my own way! I do not do it for achieving something in life but simply for the reason that I feel good about it. This reason is enough for me!

I do agree India is using religion as a political tool for obtaining communally scented votes. But nothing much can be done regarding this because we all know Indian people are emotionally and religiously driven. The situation can improve only if we, Indians change and stop trying to change the politicians…..because they are simply impossible!

Anonymous said...

There is definitely ONE GOD.
Idols are created by people for fulfilling their coffers. All the major religions of the world say the same thing...THERE IS ONE AND ONLY ONE GOD..who has no images neither he begets nor is begotten and there no one like him. He is All Supreme. Substituting Almighty God with man made idols is against the teachings of all religions on this earth.

Anonymous said...

Please do not be misguided by religion, cast and state or country feelings.

Do not get trapped in the vicious circle that would divide India again.

Please do not blame each in order to gain political mileage.

All religions have common objectives of doing good for the people. The racial feeling of colours (white, black of yellow) will divide the whole world.

The colour of blood in human body is red. Man is born by the wish of god. Hence any one can be born anywhere. It may be in India, USA or Europe. No body is superior because of any particular religion or colour of skin.

Lack of education can fulfill the desires of the people of having vested interests.. The need of this hour is that all of us should be united and try to bring harmony and peace.

One day all of us have to die. Death is imminent and certain after sometime and it depends on God Almighty.

Every moment is uncertain, every hour is uncertain, every day is uncertain, every year is uncertain. Why we all do not understand it.

Political parties in India and rest of the world must have wisdom to spread the above message and get united to eradicate poverty and give proper education that will help to reduce tension all over the world.

If our neighboring countries are happy and developed every country will have good time. This is important to understand.

All countries should be united to fight against terrorist acts.

Please bring peace fast and avoid divide and rule policy.

M. K. Banerjee, Kolkata

Anonymous said...

You'r smart, outspoken,with remarks
which seem to be 'loud' at times!However, with maturity mingled with transparency would make U a A1
presenter!

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...