8/24/2006

The world of M:

This is the letter that began my speech I guess with the word “Ma” which began with the letter M. The next thing I evolved to at being a single child was the entity comprising me, beginning M. my books, my tv, my pencils, my cycle…oh it was in me not to share!

People started entering my life: Tanumashi, the m in the mashi; Milimami, my friend Mitali, my 1st declared guy friend Mintu. Infact if I scroll down to the list of M’s in my molile phone’s name list quite a few hold a position out there.

Finally abbreviations began to rock. I was in college. My name became from kuntala to kents. All lecturers were addressed with their abbreviated forms and thus mm mam whose name mandira mitra sounds such a world apart!

Marriage with the letter m, as in, the man I married is fondly called MM by me coz it’s again too long an actual name. Marriage, music, movies, momos, men, they all have an inevitable connection withy the word m.

And then the noticeable advent of M. One day I was on the phone speaking to MM mam when my mom commented that when would MM (her son in law) speak to her. So I cleared out the confusion that it was not MM I was on the line with but MM mam. When the call ended she enquired how was Mishtu, my sister in law (just for the records I don’t call her that but Nonod) and when would she come to Calcutta.

I replied she had her priorities holding her back at where she was stationed. “Which is?” mom asked. I said “BM” (bhaskar mahanayak). “Oh, is he staying over with her?” “No mom AM is with her” “AM?” Yes her colleague arundhati mukherjee”. “But then as far as I remember was her colleague not referred to as SM who lent you her notes?” Gosh was my mom super confused…well SM happens to be swaty mitra, another colleague of my sister in law, simple.

And that day I only laughed and casually promised to myself that come what may im not gonna name my child anything that begins with the letter M. An alphabet is controlling my life like some ruling planet. And I can’t let it go on. So irrespective of the fact that I love Mitsubishis and Mercedes, and mocktails and meat, maybe I could just about do with a little more of parkers and pizzas and porsches!!!

After all people fondly did use to call me Puchu!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No wonder the irony of her life is she and her life itself...No wonder the world to her is blacksheep and no wonder she will be blackened altogether..Guys dun miss to check out the page..it might turn white....:)

Anonymous said...

Typically you. but I think you have written a half-truth . In college u were not called Kents by others but it was ur own invention.what amazes me is how u got the enrgy to INSIST people 2 call u by a new name! - very unlike u 2 EXERT yourself to such an extent.

Anonymous said...

2nd commentator again-
just wondering who d 1st commentator is -style of writing is similar 2 urs

Swing Says said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Swing Says said...

Well, I trust K, that 'Kents' was not her innovation. But she definitely has some inclination towards that proper noun, and she even insists her in-laws to call her 'Kaaints'.

Actually, it is a representation of a Slim, Fine, Tall, White, and Elegant, Properly Packaged product. It’s a brand of Cigarettes. Is she slim?? Well, those who know K, you know it. I hope she gets some encouragement from the brand, and reduced a dozen of pounds

It also represents Wild, Loud, Cracking, Smoky Character, a Swedish rock band, but unlike another Swedish band Europe, they don’t sing normally in English. Well, there are actually some similarities here, because K does represent this form often. Again, those who know K, you know it.

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...