4/12/2020

Day 3: Sign

Around evening, exhausted from a day well-spent in procuring groceries and cooking (inclusive of planning, cooking, boxing, cleaning, and well, eating), I found my eyes heavily drooping, and my attention wavering away from today's Sunday Suspense on Radio Mirchi. I asked M, is it me, or are the birds extra chirpy today. She didn't have an answer. I even stressed that this was the kind of chirpy unison I remember from the Janta Curfew evening. And then I felt it. A distinct rumble in my tummy, which I was certain was not of any hunger pang. I went out to the balcony, to be greeted by this sight:


M confirmed the earthquake, as was trending by now on groups, but we were more focused on the sight. Scores of new birds, brown on the top and yellow around their stomachs were swaying on the branches of this tree, right across our balcony. Incidentally, my favorite one :)

And momentously they flew off, right after about five minutes into the earthquake. Just as magically they had appeared, the entire lot of friendlies flew into an oblivion. It does sound abstract, or possible that they screeched because they were aware of the tremors. It really doesn't matter that I neither know the name of my tree or them birds. They did pull me out of my trance-like siesta state, but not for once I have a complaint. As the leaves weave music, they added an uncharacteristic and unforgettable charm, which I have failed to capture with my embarrassingly unsteady hands.


Do you believe it was a sign? 

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...