4/01/2020

Day 14: Creativity

While the term creativity itself has been limited with various definitions and post-it quotes, what is it but the expression of one’s truest self – unhindered by the fear of failure and sociological implications? Not only does it allow us to explore the world around, it is also a mirror to our deepest self – a personification of our feelings and beliefs. This unbridled expression comes to me only through the means of the written word.

Yes, I would like to call myself a writer. A monotonous moment becomes an adventure with my vivid imagination. I guess I could thank my overthinking nature for it! And I have turned it into my muse, rendering endless possibilities to a given instant. To this, I find prose the most befitting – unrestrained by rhyme and accommodating any number of reason. However, like the matter itself, I believe the manner should not stay inhibited too, thus explaining my venture into some poems as well. Thoughts, as made famous by Virginia Woolf, are like a stream of consciousness. What would I write if I were to bind my fluid feelings with genres?

But writing too, is an exercise. As opposed to my initial thoughts of only spontaneity, it is a cohesion of rationality, clarity and thought, which is further bettered only with revising and rewriting. In the process of becoming a better writer I have become a much better reader and understood to value regularity and discipline. I have recently not started writing my novel "Stasis" and have not completed either the prologue or two chapters. It is a science-fiction based on extraterrestrials’ experiences after landing on earth and meeting flowers. People have gone extinct, of course. And thus, it has not started, for who will remain to read?

To conclude, writing has not merely helped me recognize myself but also given me the biggest life-lesson, as put by Sylvia Plath, “The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...