5/06/2015

Letter to my Daughter V

Lekha my love,

I have decided to take your 'good name' and not the quick easy one out, so that you understand how genuine these letters are. Good friends meaningfully ask me how I write, and from where I manage the time. Well, truth is, I don't know too. Especially, the why. It is a simple extension of the 'I-dunnos' that have been governing my life, forever. At one point, you stop getting hassled, and start living with them. Anyway, too much about me. I write this letter to you for a different reason altogether.

Little Chhuti is a little older now, and when she asked me yesterday, in her new haircut, "Plis hold my dis pen fo a while", I visualized the hands of clock moving at the pace that they are. She still had to be fed by me (yes, you are the best who can eat on your own), as she played, but her movements were remarkably pronounced of how time was flying. You are away, even while you are in my heart, and that is perhaps why this letter, but yes, you are away. Loved, way before you are. That must be a little difficult for you to understand? I think I am being too deep, let's change the tone?

Chinky, each time I find you lathered in the surreal love of the many real people of my life, I get an unreal shock. They call you by your name, they play with you and oh hell yes, they spoil you. Your amiability is so rare in the times we are in, that you connect us all. And thus your name. Will you forgive me that I went ahead and changed your name from Niharika to Lekha? Yes, you came like a comet in our lives, but you remain the most beatific writing, ever.

Also, given your affinity with spellings, perhaps you will only thank me over our weekend carrom competition when I tell you that this summer vacation, we will write a new name on the labels -- L E K H A.

Hope you write it :)
Momsie.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...