5/26/2015

A Long Story

I yearn for stories, from anyone I am spending a night with. I yearn for one, into which I can swim and stealthily look into other lives. I yearn to write one, a long one. There is no dearth of stories around -- at the cubicle beyond, in the car next, inside the softly lit coffee shop -- yet, they all seem incomplete. They are clothed in a sense of being unauthorized which I cannot pull the strings of. So, I turn to try the thing I enjoy most, tell one, to the in-vacation demanding daughter. I tire out, but must, for, a half-baked story is better than any anime on the TV, or, staying glued to the laptop and/or phone screen. This:

This is a tale of twins - Fit and Wit. As you know, most twins are supposed to look similar, if not same, but, Fit and Wit were of the other type. They did not look alike. Fit was fat, while Wit was blunt. All their life they were cursed for what they were not - slender and sharp. On their tenth birthday they promised each other a makeover true to their name so that the world would come to love them. 

Over the years they set on a regime of physical exercises, fresh fruits and fish, to hone the muscles and the funny bone. They stayed away from chips and custard, and cakes and chocolate, and started asking their friends to do the same, who of course thought the twins were mad. One day, as they walked dejected on the road, Fit and Wit met me as I was trying hard to park my car beside a van near a small shop which sold the kind of pickles and candies you want. They looked up to me with exact eyes and said, "Excuse me Madam who are you buying these for?" Taken aback, I mentioned you, my little daughter, and silently erased mentioning myself. "Look at us Madam. We have no friends because we were fat and serious. Would you want your daughter to face the same fate?" No, certainly not. As I was about to run away from the weird pair, something struck me.

"Where do you live? With whom?" They had no answer. I offered them our mezzanine area which they willingly agreed to take up. I spoke to them on our behalf and want you to be a lovely host to Fit and Wit. Fit is going to tire you out when he takes you along to swim and cycle and play badminton, while Wit will make you rack your brains in playing Chinese Checkers and Chess and Cards.

Fit and Wit not only stayed true to their promise to each other, but also made us healthy and happy. They are leaving tomorrow for Make-Up where their proposal for Fitness got approved. Don't you think we should plan them a farewell party? Perhaps we can take them for a tickle-trip down memory lane, and sprinkle them with few casual calories?

They want you to play puzzle and swim regularly and told me to tell you that once you are ten they will give you a prize. What? Whatever you ask for. The Kingdom of Make-Up are offering them a fat salary. Fit and Wit are worth it! And when you miss them, you can look for them between these lines, loved, as they wanted, back from birth. 

I was going through a creative low and even as I rolled out a bunch of witless words with a bad back, I severely wish for all little ones to befriend Fit and Wit, even if that means few chocolates and fewer chips.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...