5/04/2015

Accidentally

I was driving my little, unassuming, grey bug-like car at high noon as I returned from work. It was also a time when people made to and fro visits on either end of the city because work had just begun for them. I was, however, very happy with the recent servicing of my new car, and the playlist that I could hum along with. I was a bit unmindful in my shades which had become loose. Adjusting them and adjusting the volume of the next track as I was in the first traffic signal, I noticed a face in one of the huge AC-bus windows. A face made to be lost in the crowd, but that was exactly what stood it apart. The face, unlike others around it, was not robotized into looking in the phone screen, he looked outside. As if meant to be, he looked straight at me. I was singing aloud. Quite unaccustomed to such attention, I zipped up as if he could hear the discordant tune. The bus took a left though it would also be going the same destination of the satellite area I was heading. 

Unfailingly, I was thinking of him, and whether he was too. Miraculously, I met the bus at another signal where city streets merge the joy and sorrow of homecoming and work-going. He caught me looking for him. It was funny, he was being driven in a monstrous vehicle, while I was driving my tiny one. At the next signal I could not locate him. I was surprised to find myself a bit sad. "He must have got off at the Porsche stop", I had thought. I tried to think like an ambitious author, cooking up a plot for an ordinary man in a bus, followed by the glance of an even more ordinary woman in a car. I was religiously unmindful, doubly unmindful. The mood and the music.

And then, I found him. In my rearview mirror. The same face, this time in a black Fortuner. In his forgettable stripes and memorable eyes which still unforgettably followed mine. He was racing to catch up with time and fate. We halted together, without one word exchanged, at the by-road of one of the city's five stars. I knew I was in for some serious trouble as I couldn't stop smiling. I was excited to walk up to the porch, gave a quick brush to my hair and dabbled my favourite perfume. Completely unmindful, I opened the car door, and got hit by a flashing red vehicle into a pool of happy red.

The happiness came from the last sight of him in my rearview. I had admired the fact that he parked behind me and that our eyes did all the talking. I was happy.

I write this from Heaven for that is where I am right now. 

This place lights up in its whiteness. Right from the gateway of lilies and orchids, to the occasional orange of the tiny jasmine stems which marries the dominant orange of the marigolds. Together they evoke an uncommon subdued smell of familiarity. Heaven also has this explosive smell of sanctity. It wafts in faintly the fragrance of vevyter that I had worn when I was living, accidentally.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...