3/22/2016

Sister, O Sister

The rushed eight am of the day began with Gunjarie and Shuvangie screaming from both ends of their bathroom. At twenty one, one hardly expects such malfunction. Sadly, this indeed was the case with the twins. While both were studying in the same college, their subjects were different, as were their friends and habits. The only one sameness they cherished, rather sadistically, was their crush for Aditya, the football team captain -- same batch, yet another subject. They knew of each others' claim on 'who loves Aditya better', but they also knew that Aditya knew nothing of it, and it would pass with their passing-out.

Six years later, the sisters still screamed at each other. This time, from either end of the kitchen. "There's too much salt!"

"Why don't you cook then?" snapped Gunjarie. 

From sisters they had become sisters-in-law, and funnily into the family of Aditya Mitter. When Aditya had proposed to Shuvangie, she was devastated. In place of happiness, she knew the ugly matter awaiting her at home. But Gunjarie was rather gracious and took it in her stride. While Aadit-Shuvi were going great guns, Gunjarie boxed herself up in envy. It was then that Aditya's elder brother, Anubhav became Gunjarie's solace. Over the years when the sisters would get together at the Mitters' place, Anubhav would be kind to Gunjarie and take a special affection towards her, which finally led to a unanimous decision that the sisters would be married to the brothers. Peace and happiness prevailed.

I wish I could end the story here. In fact, it itches me to go beyond. But the secret won't let me.

Anubhav, returned from Manchester with a degree and his affinity towards men. And this in return he shared only with Aditya. The Mitter's were a renowned family, deep into the printing business and such a thing as living with a man was not only unheard of, but also cause utter defame. I distinctly remember overhearing the conversations, which I shall document hence.

 
Part I: Anubhav-Aditya
 
"I cannot do this, Aadit! Please understand! I love Rajdeep!"
"Relax Dada, we will find out a way. Just marry Gunjarie. That way Shuvi will be relieved of curses. We all know Gunjarie loves me too. She is only putting up a face."

"And how would that help either of us, Aadit, if you may explain?"

"Leave it on me, Dada. We will share the truth with Gunjarie" a plan sat pleasantly on his face.

"Why not Shuvi?" Anubhav looked confused.

"That will complicate matters. I will handle it. For now, just marry Gunjarie. Please."

"And why will she agree?" retorted Anubhav.

"She will." There was an almost evil smile on Aadit's face.
 

Part II: Aditya-Anubhav-Gunjarie
 
"Why isn't Shuvi here?" chirped Gunjarie. Deep within she was happy though that her sister was not around.
Aditya took the occasion to start his speech. "Gunjarie, Dada is gay. You love me. I love Shuvi. I like you too." 

It made no sense to the two listening. He continued, "First, we need a promise that nothing spoken here goes out of this room. Not even to Shuvi." Looking at Gunjarie, he emphasised, "Your sister, my wife. Well, would be."

"So? Why am I to know this all?" snapped Gunjarie.
 
Anubhav was silently smoking. He understood.
 
"Well, Gunjarie, if you marry Dada, our family won't be dis-reputed."
 
Before he could finish, she barked, "Is this a joke? Why will I marry him?"
 
"Gunjarie, Gunjarie please. Sit down." Handing her a bottle, Aditya said, "Here have water." As his hands touched Gunjarie's, he did not fail to note the flush on her cheeks. After a minute, he resumed. "Dada's boyfriend Rajdeep, you know him, has a flat nearby. With marriage as an alibi, Dada can spend as much time as he wants with him. He can also come to our house and pep-talk with you. You have to tolerate it all, without giving out an iota that there is anything lurking beneath."

"Why will I do this, Aadit? What will I get? You think I am a doll?"

Steadily, Aadit made his move very close to her, and touching her hair, softly said, "Oh yes, a very, very hot doll, Gunjarie, that you are!" He could feel her pulse rate jump.

"This is wrong Aadit" came the only comment from Anubhav.

"Dada, I am not done. Hear me out. I am not asking for property share, nor for money or anything. I just don't want the family name to go down with people who do not understand that being gay is okay!"

He was a clever speaker, Aadit. His charm lay in his agile movements. Swiftly, he assisted the ball from Gunjarie to Anubhav. "Look. I am only trying to help. Whether or not you guys accept it, is completely up to you." He went up and lit a cigarette. Silence. 

"Gimme a puff" howled Gunjarie. She still could not situate herself in this plot. "What do I get, Aadit.?"


Part III: Gunjarie-Shuvangie
 
"I have news, Shuvi!"
"Shoot" meticulously doing her cupboard.

"Anubhav proposed last night." Now Shuvangie was all ears and body. Rushing to the bed, she literally yelled, "And?"

Gunjarie smiled a coy smile.

"Bitch! We are gonna live together!" She was genuinely happy.

As they hugged each other, both realised they would have to keep hugging each other here on, forever. 


Eavesdropping not being a good habit, I take you six years later. The sisters still screamed at each other. This time, from either end of the kitchen. "There's too much salt!"

"Why don't you cook then?" snapped Gunjarie. But she wasn't unhappy. Her pregnancy test was positive. If anything, she was sad about the nine months of nights she would be missing.

With Aadit. 
 
Their chemistry was just as fabled as the love between him and Shuvi. It did not take a toll, telling lies about emergency meetings and sudden disappearances, and Shuvi never doubted him. How could she? She had a very exciting conjugal life and Gunjarie was sleeping with Anubhav, rather happily, she knew. Their exchange of sexual exploits made Gunjarie more adventurous and Aadit was getting the best of both the worlds, sleeping with the twins.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...