8/05/2016

Topic of Cancer

When I was very, very young, Cancer was just another docile, uninteresting zodiac sign. Then I got to know about the imaginary Tropic of Cancer. And finally, when the family was hit, I was abreast with Cancer. Honestly, with all the "bad habits" I have, in the amount I have, I never thought it could be something that I would be facing. In fact, I quite loved the fact when my most favourite person in the world braved it, rather nonchalantly, while I in all of my dramatic excess made it to her in a literal cinematic style.

What is your opinion about the abundance that is being shoved into our entertainment/knowledge domain, in the name of awareness? Not only is it not impressive, but also the fact that people are so disgusted by the images that I doubt if it succeeds in inducing any kind of fear. Not until you feel the sudden growth of a lump somewhere in your body, like an unwelcome guest who loudly declares him/herself into your house and that too, right inside the kitchen. That is when these awareness images come alive -- the darkness of the dark tunnel after a stretch of sunshine when you do not know whether to put on the lights of your car or to drive on, straight.

How is it that Cancer has become a universal enemy of anatomy, just like terrorism of humanity? We let it flourish, that is why. The economy has allowed it to get under our skin. No one else did, no one else could. 

Why am I suddenly pensively ruminating over this topic? Because, unfortunately, it is not the imaginary Tropic of Cancer. It is the very real, very dementing disease Cancer. 

Each paragraph began with a question word, "when", "what", "how", "why". I would thus like to end it with the only other:

"Where" the mind is without fear, it cannot bring unto you a tear.


No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...