5/01/2016

Made Servant

We have all grown up with stories of our ancestors sharing an egg between four (or more) people, haven't we? That suffering is necessary for meaningful survival, that experience is the real teacher, that language sets us apart from all that is inanimate, and / or uncivilized. Some profess the philosophy of serving in heaven while others rule in hell. To think of it, so many ideas govern our minds. Already.

What do you think makes us? We are Made Servants, of course. I am intentionally playing the pun with the word 'made', so that it is human-centric and not simply woman-centric. Humanity -- is inclusive in its noble attribute of catering to everything -- to the specific end that it, in effect, rises us over the rest, the underprivileged. I am in no mood to lecture, be with me in trust on this, all I am doing is loud thinking. Inputs (which hardly come my way, yes, because I am hardly a debater), are always welcome. I am beyond it, I guess. My mind is conditioned in a naturalized way to accept my perceptions about life, and hence so many things that cut across societal norms make me 'inhuman'. 

Education is essential, but does it really help to earn those dozens of degrees, if one does not have the mindset to offer a bottle of water to the man sweating his life to offer us electricity, while digging the ground underneath to find the fault. Forget water, even a word spared could perhaps mean so much to him, even in this heat. If I were him, I would certainly be delighted to receive a comforting word. Harry found his comfort in a giant-sized "Happy Birthday, Harry!"

Religion has tended to the occasion of concreting the abstract, absent solace, but look at what it demands. Devotion if one thing, and fanaticism another. Please do not have the superior head-up if you have a library consisting books on values, for what use is value on a page if not exercised? No, no, not on an exercise copy, in life you know. Life -- where I am thirty two, and have sufficient unintelligible queries which I am not ashamed to ask. I also have an overhead of knowledge, little things like a smile works, or that keeping a door holding for someone entering from the other end does. 

I am only ashamed of one thing, that I am at a loss of words when I could have perhaps been assertive, or logical. I am a Made Servant by the laws of life. I obey rules that defy humanity, I surrender to rights that are baseless, I write in the name of thinking aloud. I wonder if we will ever be able to get out of the periphery of narratives that have ruled our consciousness, and that of our parents' before us. It is a circle. Quite unlike the 22 degree halo of a rainbow around the sun that came out for half an hour. It watered my eyes, but then, the wonder filled it right back. There are rare instances such are these that help me look at the invisible. So much that is erstwhile unseen awaits to be seen.

By the way, who are you?

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...