5/04/2020

Quarantined

I thought and debated, on whether or not to write on this, and finally decided to do it. Ever since March 1st, I have been home, with the exception of 10th March (which was Holi). So, until yesterday it was roughly already 60+ days of "staying home", "staying safe"; basically doing everything that has been deemed correct. In fact, we have been obeying everything so much so that all shopping and getting things indoor have also been done to the t (we sanitize everything at the main door itself). I have been downstairs once every week to take the car for a spin within the block, which has been exceptionally cautious about maintaining social distance, and decorum in all the three parks. The day before, I had an anxiety attack about life in general, and thankfully, I surfaced. Things were going on well yesterday morning, when, undeclared, an event unfolded.

Tending to my plants in the veranda, I loitered about to overhear the unnatural number of people assembled downstairs. With my superior curiosity and affable social skills, I, of course asked around, very casually, "what happened there?" The lady in the opposite balcony replied, "Not there, over you." Dear readers, someone tested Covid positive in our next building. By the time I could respond, the shock of it being right there hit me hard. Over the next twenty minutes, as if in fast forward motion, I accumulated too much uncomfortable information, including "quarantined", "barricaded", "sealed" etc. etc. The patient was already at a hospital, and her family members tested negative.

Dear readers, if you thought this was going to be a rant about "my quarantine life", you are mistaken. This is an out and loud appreciation post on the community kindness I witnessed thereafter. Within a span of maximum two hours, the said building and two on either of its side (Delhi buildings share walls), resembled a crime scene from one of the many thriller movies I have seen. The bright yellow Delhi Police barricades screamed out in the achingly silent zone. The women leaders of the RWA efficiently created a WhatsApp group with all members of the three buildings. The group also has our SHO and the local inspector. Every instruction in being conveyed and acted upon in the group with the response time of under 1 minute.

To be frank, I was sure to touch 100+ days of self-quarantine. Yet, this morning when I woke up to see the PPE angels arriving on site to sanitize the buildings, our cars, our parks, I gulped the gravity of it all. Even our garbage has been mandated to be disposed off in a particular way. Not one to reveal my political inclinations, I reiterate the democratic support that these unknown neighbours have been lending at such an abstract time. True, our world is undergoing healing, and we will emerge more empathetic and compassionate than ever before.

Till then, watch the Malayalam movie "Virus", and be assured, we are safe and being well taken care of!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely, short and crisp

Anonymous said...

Hopefully all will be fine and once the lockdown is over, you will be able to chat with a friend over a cc up of tea, surrounded by the chirping not birds. Till then, hold tight!!!

Anonymous said...

Remember, once the lockdown is over, you will be free to enjoy the company of friends again, chat with them, laugh with them, and so on. Till then, sit tight.

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...