1/31/2017

That Match!

Even as the internet turned into a debris of the much anticipated Fedal blast, accept it, there was the excitement of embracing the familiar in the future. While I wouldn't dare to desecrate the match with my laymen commentary, I would certainly love to share how important it was for some of us, off the internet!

You see, some of us became a fan of Federer exactly a decade and a half back, and that decade, when the internet was yet to catch up to our palms, we sat glued, atleast four times a year with peRFection, which allowed us -- willing suspension of disbelief -- such was the grace in his game, the fluidity in his talent and the display of his artistry, all of which were real/time. But all these have been already spoken about. At that time, I was much married and the Grand Slams were attended to after the domesticities were duly served. Though I should have ideally awaited them for my quarterly escapades, I actually looked forward to them like a diligent admirer yearns for a magic show.

At home it was a mere betting upon "who-would-win", while on the phone I remember exchanging notes about some shots -- worthy of an MA-level answer. Ten years since those shots...

It is now ex-husband, one friend lost in miles and another to death.

Time stood still as my fingers itched to type to AM, about those surreal cross-court angles off Roger's racket. Alas that fantastic man in his pink YSL shirt who gave me my first Pelican fountain pen, is no more. Time stood still when I wrote to AC that I miss our joyous screaming into the phone "Oh, another Ace!" Time also stood as a morbid reminder when I received a message from the ex-husband -- in yet another of his ambitious sentences in which he must have tried to evoke memories -- that thank god for good decisions.

Life really gets as complicated as a tense five-setter with beautiful language meeting not-so-beautiful truths: the articles and the articulations, the sport and the athletes who outgrow the game itself. What a match it was!

I think more than anything I was happy to have witnessed history. Roger Federer winning his 18th Slam. Against Rafael Nadal. At 35.

While friends go and friendships stay, that Grand Slam held time tight, and I held a time-travel clocking lifetime!

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...