11/28/2016

Who Won the Game?

I was prepared, in bed with a book. With fierce hope, waiting for a miracle to return like a dear, incomplete dream. Waiting for sleep. Fiddling with means to get it, mostly blank.

Tonight was special. Vaani got onto me with a decisiveness of a rider, aware of destination. She held a copy of Thunder and Soul which she has been spending sleepless nights over, without reading a single line.

I was prepared, in her clutch, waiting to be read. Hoping fiercely, that unlike most times when she left me incomplete, tonight she would see her through all the pages. I commanded attention in my name, Thunder and Soul, yet she would never. Maybe tonight.

Hope they say is like dope. Yes, I am. I am a severe addiction, driving one mad you know. I am happy. Tonight too, I would fail her. I will win.

They surrender to my embrace, fetching another world in me. I am sleep. I am elusive and expensive. You think I would reach her tonight? Why else do you think she easily replaces my name as a miracle? They hardly come true! Here, let me gift her an appetizier -- some fresh yawns. Look, she has even kept the book beside her pillow soaking up the empty yawns.

I am the boss. I am Dream. These puny pillows, and tall hopes, and giant sleep and rational Vaani they think I am otherworldly. I do not even laugh at their ignorance now. Such misery to believe theirs is the real world. Didn't you know? It is me, from the other side of the conscious moving the thread of what they call Life. But I am the real deal, and all that is without me, outside of me, is not.


Vaani chewed her bitten nail further till it brought out a thin blood-lined skin on her right thumb. Damn. What was I thinking? But I was not. It must have been a dream. The burning sensation on her thumb brought her back to her surrorundings. Were these speaking? She puffed up her pillow and rearranged her book. Somewhere at the end of her feet, Dream lurked stealthily laughing, "Of course they really were."

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...