7/19/2016

Unbearable Kindness

What takes him this long to answer? Vidya pressed the redial button as she stepped on to the escalator. Now he will know I am not selfish. Not selfish at all. So much for him being 35 and me 26.

"Was in the loo, Vidya. What happened?" Rajiv enquired from the other end.

"Rajiv. I don't like us fighting. You cannot call me selfish for not being a hundred things to you. But I realized I am not! I should believe in myself that I am not selfish. You cannot and will never doubt that!" rushed his seven month old wife.

Bored, Rajiv combed his hair looking into the mirror. "What now?"

"I left two tubes to get a seat Rajiv, and finally found one in the third. And then, before the train started, an old lady -- well, she was not exactly poor -- came and stood in front of me, and I, I gave her my seat! All the way till my stop" Vidya gasped as she hailed an auto.

"OK. So feeling virtuous, are you?"

"Yes" Vidya resounded as she settled in the auto and continued "I mean no, but you know what I mean. I feel good. It is a selfless act! Is it not?"

Even more bored Rajiv grunted a sad "Yuh."

Elated with herself, Vidya smiled at the loud song no longer complaining about the blasting music and pepping at the sight of the rare greens beside the concrete. Now I can launch the idea about Nainital.

Kindness often makes one feel very good about oneself. How shall we put it, it is, with due regards to its intention, often a selfish act performed involuntarily.

Miles away, Aarushi got off from the tube and went into the loo. It was always a matter of timing with her, to play with that soulful kindling of kindness. She came out adjusting her white wig into her bag. God bless the fool. She silently thanked the same God for her daily smartness.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...