4/22/2015

L fell Down!

I bought a car with "not a single benefit from old parents, nor one from new job". Sometime in November. Strange, I do not even remember the date. I used to drive a manual M-800, and on weekends a power-steering Esteem. That was about seven years ago. And I was not confident -- either about parking, or reversing.
Owning to I's insistence, I went for a new car. Two weeks later, I wished to take it out to the city. We needed couple of L's on the back and front windshields. I was staying at EC, and went to my aunt's room, took out couple of white soft cards and a big tube of Artist's Carmine, and a nice thick sable brush for the purpose. As my aunt watched some random songs on TV which bored me, I took to the glorious enterprise. Voila! Some twenty minutes later, we had two beautifully carved L's. Formed without the ruler, the lines were seemingly perpendicular. And the carmine set out against the dull white. We got one of the security guards to help me stick the L's to perfect order of synchronization.
The first L was removed in a week's time from the front windshield when R was in town for I's wedding. She drove around the car and she is a fantastic driver. According to her it blocked her vision and without consultation, she tore it off. I stayed on with the L behind.
Weddings and city trips later, the L remained. R left for her city, and I, hers. The L remained. It gave me a sense of security, a buffer that other cars would be cautious about mine. And yet it was scarred and dented. The city roads have become a regularity, the congestion no more a problem. I graduated into driving other cars and others' cars (without L). I park decently, and reverse remarkably well. I play music and constantly change channels and see sights. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that some of the people I like a lot, sit beside me, and I cannot but be safe. And rash driving is so passé.
However, I received my updated driver's license some days back, and the L had to go. I could not. It made me feel protected. I could not explain how it just felt a part of me. It made me feel powerful, immune. At the same time, vulnerable, because I would be living with the falsehood of it. So, just like Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall and had a Great Fall, my Ring-a-Ring-a L-Roses, windshield full of poses, fell down!
I drive, pretty. Pretty possessed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats for ur driving licence :)
Of course spotting ur car was easier with L at the back ... but I must say you drive well now ... so enjoy life without L !

Kuntala Sengupta said...

Why, thank you Abhi! And next time, you will locate it with the number-plate. :)

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...