4/12/2015

Date Night

I am single. And so is she. That make us a pair. Me and my toddler. Growing up together. She wants me to buy her a new school bag. From a shoe store. The three fluorescent stripes on a sky blue bag -- bigger than her -- impressed her heavily. She didn't ask for anything in a long time, nor did I have the time to think and gift her something, just for nothing. So, after three days of her asking for it, and having scribbled the stripes all over, I took her out tonight. We drove straight to the store and surprised her to the core. 

She has not stopped smiling ever since. We returned home after her favourite chicken sweet corn soup and cheese sticks. I had to tempt her to an ice cream. It seemed as if she was rushing to return. And then I knew why. She quickly changed into her full sleeved white night suit of Tom and Jerry running after one another, without my help. 

I had settled down on the bed in my usual pose of working on the laptop with a drink by my side. She joined me solemnly, gift in her hand and many things popping in and out of it. Having adjusted her blanket and dropping her goodnight kiss on my cheek, she sat to work on her bag. She took out her many comics and arranged them height-wise and put them back in. Next in line were her notebooks, and then her pencil-bag. Her Winnie the Pooh pencil bag with her coloured pencils and sharpener and ruler, of which she has no use. She pulled back the chain with the authority a bank manager has with the lockers.

C then placed the bag to one side of her pillow, diligently, and patted it as if it were a pet. All this while she was convinced that I was not looking. And finally, holding the bag tight, she fell asleep. Possibly, for the first time not on my side. I wish her dreams tonight. That she can travel worlds with her bag. And worlds visit her from her bag.

I wish for her to sleep on the other side and not feel alone.

No comments:

Cheap Thrills

Irrespective of the gruelling and gut-wrenching angst I feel about the condition of the wage-earners, now, more than ever, I cannot but be ...